Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Just Can't Understand . . .

Today I’m struck by something that should have never happened . . . I'm referring to the mass murder at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia.

First let me say that nothing enters into the feelings of remorse and pain I feel for the people involved: not politics, not where each person was from, not their age, not their gender, not their race, not their religious beliefs, not their sexuality, not their past, not their present, not the length of their nails, not the number of piercings they have, not the color of their hair, not their beliefs, not their shoe size, not any quality about the person. I don’t really care who they are, for they have experienced something that no person on this earth should have to endure.

For the people who have lost loved-ones or friends in this travesty, I pray for you. I hurt for you. I mourn for your loss. I so wish the world was different for you. I am disappointed that God didn’t see fit for me to have the ability to turn back the clock for you. I feel all these things, even though I know that my feeling these things will very likely not help any of you get through the ordeal you are now faced with. And for this I’m deeply, deeply sorry.

What I don’t understand about this gross excuse for a news-worthy event is where this type of hatred and disdain comes from. Sure I’ve been hurt in the past and sure I have fantasized about doing dastardly things to others (who hasn't?), but my sensibilities have always intervened. I have always fallen back on the thought of ‘What if someone did something like that to me?’ The result was always a turn toward looking to a better day. What in the world could have gone so wrong for a person that decides to be judge and jury for those he knows nothing about?

I have no doubt that the sick person that did this to 30+ people was mentally unstable. The result speaks to this conclusion. I also wouldn’t be surprised to find out that he was receiving no treatment for such an illness. Even when someone is skeptical of psychotherapy they benefit from having a person to talk with. Was it a lack of public funds that may have contributed to such a breakdown? Were there no mental health practitioners that were willing to make the difficult diagnosis for this person? Surely, something has gone amiss and we as a society are not powerless to prevent something like this in the future.

Why are we not powerless? Only because we can advocate for greater mental health availability for the poor. Only because we can help break up the stigma that is associated with the term “mental illness.” Only because we can help others not feel ashamed of seeking help through the use of psychologists and psychiatrists. Only because you can contact our legislators in support of making mental health assistance a priority. Only because we can each be willing to be an open ear to those around you. You might find that many of us can benefit from discussing our problems and perceptions with a professional. We have every opportunity to make a difference, but few of us will ever take the initiative.

How utterly sad it is that it takes an event like this one to propel some of us to action. I know that these words will likely make no difference, partially because this horrible event will, at best, only move 1/100,000th of 1% of the population to take some form of action. But . . . if one person reads this and does decide to do something to advocate for better mental health for our society, then it was worth the effort to write it!

May tomorrow bring a better day for all of us.

Copyright JGR 2007, All rights reserved.

No comments: